Saturday, October 18, 2014

Soekarno : Indonesia Merdeka

This movie is going the official selection from Indonesia for Oscar Best Foreign Language next year. I think I'm kinda disappointed that they chose this movie. No, it's not a bad movie. It's an OK movie. But there's a lot of better movies. Maybe they chose it based on the history. which is good. this movie is about Indonesia's first president, Soekarno. I adore him.

This movie not quite satiate my expectation, not only showing the history of independence fight in overall, but also bring the good and the bad of Soekarno characters, pretty much balancing love story, and (even though I am historian by my grandfather's storytelling) I dare say it's pretty much accurate on the historical side and characters. But none of the characters are explored enough, or has any scene as a focal point, thus makes this movie lack of emotions. Though I gotta admit Ario Bayu and Lukman Sardi are nailed the characters. On another plus side, no doubt, Indonesian movies are about enchanting motion pictures. So, overall it's OK but it's pretty much a tedious movie.

This movie  presents general Indonesian history, and for me Hanung, was more concern in Soekarno's personal life than the conflict about independence. Technically, this movie is good, visual and sound effects are good, and some scenes are so artsy. The actors are good enough to represent their own characters. overall this movie is enough to fulfill public knowledge about Indonesia and the popular issues about Soekarno.

I like the movie, the actings are briliant. And it's not overrated like Habibie and Ainun. It;s great. But is it good enough to be Oscar contender? i don;t think so. But maybe I'm wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment