Sunday, September 14, 2014

Still Alice (book and movie)



I read the book way before thye announced about the movie. I read this because I'm always curious with Alzheimer. It's interesting topic for me. and when I goggled it I found Still Alice. It's interesting book. The book was told by Alice POV, the victim of the Alzheimer. It's rare and good. It felt like I couldn't  trust the book, because it was told by Alice POV. But it;s a really good book. One of the best book I have read, and I love it because it's not Y/A fiction and I;m kinda done with Y/A era.

Before this book, I'd always seen Alzheimer as disease which only attach the elder. Bt I'm wrong. Alice had everything, amazing career, family, and kids. with the exception of Lydia. She is the black sheep of the family. Not really the black sheep to be honest, she is just different from The Howland family. Everything changed when Alice started forgetting a few things like a word and where she put her things. And she became curious about it, and when she forgot how to get home. It's very sad part, I could feel Alice emotion. The book it self is a very breathtaking, how Alice's family deal with it. Her husband chose to avoid it it and he still wanted to everything he would do. Her kids the oldest wanted to treat Alice as if she was the fragile thing. Same as the boy. But the most interesting kid is the younger one, Lydia. Alice and Lydia never got along before, but it surprised me that Lydia was the one who cared that much about Alice. She had the patience, she treated Alice like usual, but with more loves. She was mad at her mother when her mother invaded her privacy, she let her mpother did what her mother needed without complains. She did everything for Alice, she didn't want to go to college before, but she chose to do it. I don't know if it was her decision or she did it for Alice. And her husband was kinda jerk. I don't know, maybe he had his own issues and didn't want to watch his loving wife teared apart in front of him. 


This year the movie was made. With the amazing Julianne Moore as Alice Howland, she was perfect for this role when the first time they announced it. Julianne Moore is everything, she can be anything. Alec Baldwin ad her husband. I was surprised. Her three beautiful kids are played by Kate Bosworth, Kristen Stewart, and Parish Hunter. Big names here. 

The movie has it world premiere previous days ago at TIFF. Before TIFF we just heard the whisper about Julianne Moore's character's and buzz. The movie didn't have any distribution when they released at TIFF, and people said it could be the black sheep after the heartbreaking reviews of The Theory of Everything. Julianne Moore got massive reviews for her role, and maybe oh maybe this time she could bring home The Oscar statue . Even Kristen Stewart gets amazing reviews as well. her part in the book is not that big, but she is the most influence character in the book. The movie was directed and written by Wash Westmorland and Richard Glatzer, it's very surprising. These two people are not new, but they barely got any notice at Hollywood film industry. and The review of this movie is not only about the character, the movie also has the amazing story and screen play. So I'm curious about this movie

This movie was nothing before TIFF, it's so different from The Theory of Everything, the Imitation Game, Mommy, Whiplash, Nightcrawler, Wild, etc. But after the first screening it turned into something big and ready to be the racer on next year award race. Sony Classic bought it maybe we will have the dejavu of Blue Jasmine like last year. With Julianne winning the award just like Cate Blanchett. Sony Classic doesn't have any actress or supporting actress to push for award season next year. Maybe Kristen Stewart will be the Sally Hawkin, or maybe it's too soon for her? I don't know.

Some considerate the movie as the Best Picture contender, while I think it will get the best adapted screen play nomination. So let's started the praying circle for Julianne Moore. it's her year. Maybe Glenn Close will have her moment soon. Julianne was always be the bridesmaid, because she is too down too earth, maybe this year she wants to show it that she wants it bad? I don;t think so. But I hope if she wins for this role is not because Julianne is overdue, it's because Julianne Moore deserve it. So fingerscross. I can;t wait, hope I can watch it this year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment