Sunday, September 14, 2014

Boyhood - Review



FINALLY, FINALLY!!! I have watched Boyhood. I wondered about this movie since Sundance and Berlin Film Festival this year, with Linklater won a Silver Bear Prize. 12 years of making. WOW. amazing reviews, Oscar Buzz, Ethan Hawke, Richard Linklater, that young boy, Patricia Arquette, etc. I just couldn't wait to watch this movie. Finally I have watched it now. And I'm, so proud.

From the concept is very interesting, it's like a documentary movie but it was scripted. 12 years of making, very dedicated actors and crews. It's all paid off. So this is my review as I said before, Linklater is the master of making real, simple, realistic movies with a lot of dialogue, less music and all. He doesn't want to manipulate the audience with amazing scores. Some complain about this, ME on the other hand I enjoyed it. My sister doesn't enjoy this movie, she said it was over long and not as good as the critics and bloggers say. But I really like it, it feels like watching my brother gew up in front of my eyes. I love the details on how Linklater shows what year it is, like the music, the game, the language, and all.

Ellar Coltrane as Mason is very magnificent. He is terrific, but I enjoy the first half of his charater, nearing the end of the movie I didn't like his character that much. But Ellar could play it amazingly. I love how Mason grows up, we first see him as this young boy who enjoy his life until to the point when he wonders what should he has done. Everyone has been on Mason shoes, we can;t deny it. Or if you are still very very young you will know you will be on Mason's shoes.



Ethan Hawke is simple amazing has a good chemistry with the other casts. He is so underrated, he has good acting skill and all. He played as the father of the Boyhood. and he is just a normal and simple father, but I can see my dad in him. and I like the concept of it. Patricia Arquette steals the show, she shows the mother struggles and woman struggles. Watching her acting is so natural, I can feel the desperation of her character. I just love her in this role.

Boyhood is brimming in high quality. Richard Linklater directed this film flawlessly. His direction highlights the emotion of the film and projects life into it's characters. Linklater's screenplay also perplexes the characters and is filled with memorable dialog and subtle wisdom. The combination of these elements defines the film and its soul. The assembled cast is also top notch. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette star, and newcomer Ellar Coltrane plays the title role of Mason. The chemistry between the actors is unmatched and it only continues to evolve as the film progresses.

When watching Boyhood, you don't think of the ramifications, the possible pitfalls and how difficult it must have been to make. You instead choose to enjoy it at surface level, only truly appreciating the sheer brilliance of what has been achieved after the film. This really is a once-in-a-lifetime film and therefore a once-in-a-lifetime experience for anyone watching it. Soon to be a modern classic, this is a picture that will be looked back on as one of the greatest ever made.

Someday this movie will turn it Cult movie, I'm sure of it. Linklater is briliant and brave. I can see Boyhood won Oscar next year, with Linklater being snubbed, idk lol. I can feel it. But hopefully I'm wrong, they have snubbed Linklater before, and not again. Anyway you should watch this movie with your family, friend

My rating : 9.5/10
IMDB : 8.8/10
Rotten tomatoes : 99%
Metacritics : 100%



No comments:

Post a Comment