Monday, September 8, 2014

Across The Universe(2007)



I miss this movie, I think this is the first movie, I watched it by my self. the first movie that made me curious about movie festival. Because this was the first  I knew about Toronto International Film festival ( I was 7th Grade). Since that year I was obsessed with indie movies. And because of this movie I watched the award race for the first time. And it was very fun year. everything was very fresh for me. 2007 was the year of really good movies. And I chose the best year, and I'm very proud of it. I'm luck I have watched all of the movie from 2007. because yeah, everybody says 2007 was the best year of movies in last 10 years. from Into The Wild to Atonement. And I remember I watched Oscar for the first and i felt the excitement of it. Really really good memories.

Back to the movie. i like this movie, In my opinion this movie is very fresh and creative. This movie was all about The Beatles. I don't call my self as The Beatles fan, but I like their songs. and I have all of their albums. I have much older friends back then. So I watched this movie because of them. they like The Beatles, my dad loves The Beatles. So i tried to watch it. this movie was nominated for Golden Globe.


All of the characters's name were based on The Bratles song. ERW and Jim Sturgess were very fresh back then, especially Jim Sturgess. For the first half of the movie, I was frequently divided. One innovative sequence would really pull me into the style, then a forced number or awkward staging would distance me again. When an obvious, recognizable number began, I was torn between a cynical impulse to roll my eyes and an almost exhilarated impulse to laugh and applaud.

"Across the Universe" is a mess. There's no denying that. It is poorly paced and badly structured, and at times its feather-light plot and contrived or obligatory numbers become tedious. But at one point, about halfway through, I decided just to go along for the ride. I delighted in every brash, bold choice, whether it worked or not. I let the poignant moments move me, whether or not I intellectually felt that they were contrived.

Set in America during the Vietnam War, Across the Universe is a powerful love story set against a backdrop of political and social unrest: it's a story of soul-searching, self-doubt, and individual powerlessness cleverly conveyed through a multitude of Beatles songs.If  you grew you up listening to and loving Beatles' songs, you're not to miss this movie musical. Though the movie lacks enough story or depth, the brilliantly choreographed renditions of the Beatles songs against well-shot landscapes and set-pieces are enough to mesmerize you; the songs itself have such power and meaning that when they're sung in relevance with the story have a terrific impact.

To be honest, its badly-structured minuscule plot is quite a distraction, but ultimately, you end up loving the movie just due to the power and essence of The Beatles. This a movie with a lot of flaws. Even if you are not a movie addicted, you will realize it. But Like it was very enjoyable movie, and totally new experience of movie. And adorable experience of music, The soundtrack is great, the cheesiness is enjoyable. You should watch it, if you are free at Saturday night rent or download this movie if you haven;t watched. I did sleep over last Saturday and I chose this movie, and no regret. all my girls were happy. One of my favorite movie from 2007, and like I said 2007 was the year of good movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment