Wednesday, November 26, 2014

St Vincent (2014)



This is one of the underrated movie this year. I kinda like this movie. Bill Murray gave us a brilliant performance. This movie is a touching story. It is about a boy who befriends a crusty curmudgeon in Vincent (Bill Murray) and discovers some facts of life. But the deeper story is that family is really the friends you choose and the wide cast of misfits are brought together by a mix of circumstances and events. They are lost but then are found. The story also showcases the lost heroes of Vietnam. These veterans are dying off and as a nation we have forgotten their contributions in this senseless war.

This is Bill Murray's best role in many, many, many years. The man is considered a comedy legend and I think we all knew he had range but St. Vincent shows just how great he can be. Vincent is a truly, undeniably despicable human being. There is no way around that. He is completely flawed and that is not only the point but the reason you will love him for it. He's pathetic and the empathy you feel for this man and then by the end you actually understand him.

I was blown away by the actor who played Oliver. It was not an easy role to portray-- he had to be able to connect to the audience with his emotion, capture the character's desire to see past the exterior of a person, and he had to make it believable which he did flawlessly.



It was a fun little film that got the audience laughing from time to time and occasionally would pull on the their heartstrings. All the actors are spot on in their comedic timing, but I wouldn't describe St. Vincent as 'laugh out loud funny' or anything like that. It will bring a smile to your face and you'll probably get annoyed with Naomi Watts Russian accent real quick.

I love Bill Murray, but I've never thought of him as a great actor. Boy was I pleasantly surprised here. There were times when I nearly forgot I was watching Bill Murray. He absolutely nailed the role. He made me laugh, and he made me grab more than one tissue.

It's not a complicated story, and not a terribly unique story, but it's a good story. And it has plenty of great moments that will tug at your heart. If you want a heartwarming drama that will make you laugh and make you cry, you can't go wrong with St. Vincent. And you'll probably walk away with a bit more respect for Bill Murray as an actor. I know I did. I highly recommend St. Vincent.

I can see an Oscar Nominee for Bill murray though. but let's see it's already too crowded for my taste. But this is the very good movie. i like it, and this movie is very underrated. If you were to see the trailer , poster or any advertising for this film you would think it is just another comedy , it is far from it. St. Vincent proves that while a film can have elements of humor it can still be an incredible drama.


IMDB : 7,4/10
Metacritics : 64%
Rotten Tomatoes : 74%
Mine : 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment