Tuesday, January 3, 2017

PASSENGER (2016)



I just lower any expectation in my life and that includes when I watch movie. I watch this movie because I love romance and I like the idea of space ship drama. I strongly disagree and totally cannot understand why there are many critics addressed towards this movie. Passengers was wrapped with a beautiful and entertaining atmosphere. Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence was very outstanding on the movie. The chemistry between those 2 main character was charming.


The basic story line being 5,000 passengers and crew are in a suspended hibernation on a 120 year voyage to a new planet. After a collision with an asteroid causes Chris Pratt's(Jim Preston) hibernation pod to malfunction and awaken him after only 30 years, the story really beings.

Pratt's only 'person' to speak with is an android bartender, excellently played by Michael Sheen. Although that premise borrowed more than a bit from 'The Shining' bartender, it worked, there have been far worse movie sins committed in other films. Pratt, desperate for companionship awakens Jennifer Lawrence(Aurora Lane), A writer looking for the ultimate subject to write about.

The movie was good & well worth seeing. The characters are well developed. I was at first a little bit skeptical as I thought I would be bored with only 2 people playing in it. However, both Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence were big enough actor/actress that they could fill the whole movie by themselves. Of course Michael Sheen as the android was also a favorable character.

Passengers surprised me by how much I enjoyed watching the movie. While a bit slow at the beginning, I enjoyed the love story and sense of adventure our characters shared as they hurtled through space. In addition, the beautiful visuals and strong attention to detail further impressed me, designing a set worthy of special effects awards at the Oscars. Outside the love story though, I was disappointed with the lack of mystery and rushed dilemma they placed in this movie.

Be warned though, they were a little misleading when they advertised this. It's definitely more romantic drama than science fiction.

7.1/10 - IMDb
31% - Rotten Tomatoes
41% - Metacritic
8/10- Verdict

No comments:

Post a Comment