Monday, January 9, 2017

Arrival (2016)



You know I am a big fan of sci fi and something related to drama, alien, and space. Thank you to Apollo 13 the first movie that made me obsessed with this genre. Arrival is a mystery, sci-fi movie, directed by Denis Villeneuve, who also directed two other critically acclaimed movies I loved watching: "Prisoners" and "Sicario". This time, Villeneuve takes on the subject of extra-terrestrial life, and the communications between humans and aliens from another planet, starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whittaker in the lead cast.



Arrival is one big mystery from start to finish, forcing you to watch and to be amazed and intrigued of the outcome. This movie reminded me of a well-directed Christopher Nolan movie like "the prestige" or "memento", where the mystery is being beautifully resolved at the end.  Amy Adams is one of those human characters, and she gives an absolutely lovely performance, one that totally carries the film. Amy Adams delivers a refreshingly relatable and emotional performance, with great depth and charisma. She gets no histrionics or big Oscar scenes, yet days after the movie I was still thinking about her and the journey her character goes on. (I mean Amy has always been good right, oh just give her an Oscar already, an Oscar not because she is overdue, but for the movie she deserves)


The best quality of this movie is that it subtly takes away from the alien event, and rather focuses on the emotions, consequences and life-changing transformations of the earthlings and the people surrounding the event. It does not make the aliens the incident of importance - but rather a process which changes and focuses on the conscience of the human race.

I think the thing that makes it seem more intelligent/emotional than it actually is, is the clever use of flashbacks. Whenever I see this in a film (notably Nolan's Insomnia, Batman Begins, Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, who I feel Villeneuve has been influenced by) it has a powerful effect - juxtaposing some current situation with some emotional moment. I just love Nolan style that got me thinking and even can't sleep. This movie got me thinking, it was better than I expected, I try to never expect anything. But its hard, especially after Villeneuve gave us a really great movies.

I was overwhelmed with feelings and thoughts and couldn't move for a few minutes. I spent the entire journey home in complete silence reflecting on what I had just witnessed. This is an alien invasion movie unlike any I have seen before, promoting peace and unity and hope like no other. It throws you in the deep end immediately with a heartbreaking tragedy that goes on to define the whole, breathtaking encounter. It makes a point not to answer every question you might have so as not to dilute and distract from the main focus of the story. And that twist in the final act genuinely blew my mind.

8.3/10 - IMDb
94% - Rotten Tomatoes
81% - Metacritic
9/10 Verdict



OMG I AM STILL THINKING ABOUT THIS MOVIEEEEE


No comments:

Post a Comment