Thursday, January 29, 2015

Top Five (2014)



"Top Five" is the latest film from funnyman Chris Rock. Rock, who pulls quadruple-duty here as writer, producer, lead actor and director, assembles an all-star cast in this subversively insightful tale about a comedic actor having a midlife crisis on the eve of the debut of his latest film.

The film concerns Andre Allen (Chris Rock), one of the most famous comedy actors in the business today after doing three consecutive comedies revolving around the character of "Hammy the Bear," which had Allen dressed in a large, realistic bear outfit. At this point in his career, Allen wants to forget about "Hammy the Bear" and focus on his new film "Uprize," concerning the slave rebellion in Haiti, which is proving to be an uphill battle to market and convince audiences this is a new direction for the actor.

"Top Five" reminds one of "Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)," another film released this year about an actor trying to disregard his previous film roles as a superhero in favor of a more grounded, serious project, in this case, a play he desperately wanted people to see, connect with, and positively receive. "Top Five," like "Birdman," is also a film about dealing with one's critics, regardless of whether or not they are professional or everyday individuals that comment on your work positively or negatively.


Chris Rock directed this movie pretty good. I can tell he directed the hell out of this movie and it dose show and I can safely say that he did great and I would love to see him director other movies in the future. He also wrote the film as well and they was some really funny parts and they where also other parts where the writing felt a bit off for me. All the cast do fine and Chris Rock did fine too.

For a comedy movie I laugh about a few time and that's really it. The movie didn't really do it for me. Now just because I said it didn't do it for me, doesn't mean it might on you. I get the films message about how celebrities not getting the full respect and being treated like gods but their only human, yeah yeah yeah, I get it, good message through. I tried to like this movie I really did, but I just didn't do it for.

7.1/10-IMDb
87%-Rotten Tomatoes
81%-Metacritic
7/10-Mine

No comments:

Post a Comment