Sunday, January 11, 2015

Laggies (2014)



I'm a big fan of all girl romcom. So when I heard Keira Knightley would be in romcom movie, I will gladly watch it.

Laggies is all about growing up, with its main character unable to take life seriously. The film explores to several compelling points of moving on to adulthood. Then it takes to a quirkier turn where Megan tries to make another life with a younger crowd where she feels more accepted of who she is. This is meant to be a story about getting away from the comfort zone, the movie does bring a lot of acknowledgment of why this is supposed to be the right thing, but it resolves to a more comfortable type of ending which doesn't live up much to what it wants to say.

While this movie does not bring anything new to the table at all, Laggies is still a very funny and entertaining movie. Great performances from everyone involved especially Sam Rockwell. I recommend this movie. The movie starts out with the main character going to a class reunion dance, she goes to the dance with her boyfriend of 10 years I believe, it was a while ago I saw it, and they were having a good time. The boyfriend tries to propose but Megan, the main character, tells him she is first going to a conference for a week. She instead goes to a teenager to whom she purchased alcohol for in the beginning. This is how the movie starts and the rest is up to you.


I feel laggies was Chloƫ Grace Moretz most natural feeling acting job to date. Lynn Shelton really pulled out stellar performances and made her best film yet. Cast chemistry was amazing and a joy to watch. I don't think Anne Hathaway could have done better than Keira Knightley. The movie ended way to soon for me. What made this film the most fun for me was seeing Chloƫ in an almost everyday type of role. Laggies really felt real and from the heart.

I don't think this film is particularly great, but I do appreciate that its simple premise is different than the usual thing. Kiera Knightley's accent may be a little shaky, actually pretty shaky at times, but she has a lot of charm and she's very sympathetic here. She's actually not just good in period films, and she's actually an underrated actress overall.

6.8/10-IMDb
69%-Rotten Tomatoes
63%-Metacritic
7.5/10- My Verdict

No comments:

Post a Comment