Monday, December 15, 2014

Sils Maria (2014)



this movie was a big hit in Cannes maybe because they have Juliette Binoche (as much as I know she is France sweetheart) Kristen Stewart and Chloe Moretz who have their own fandom, and big big fandom. So I got this special opportunity to watch this movie on film festival last week. I was so happy since I can't wait to see it with my own eyes. As a fan of Stewart, hearing good reviews about her in this movie made me want to see it even more.

This was a good movie, to a large extent because of its lead actors. I expected Juliette Binoche and Kristen Stewart to make a great team, and they did; there was never a moment when I thought one of them was out-acting the other, or drawing attention from the other. They worked in perfect tandem as far as I could see. But the movie is too long. I like the cinematography, Sils Maria is such a beautiful place.

I love Juliette when plays as a desperate woman. Well she does everything great. In this movie she played as a veteran actress with her own personal problem, and then new director asked her to do a remake based on a movie that made her famous. but as the opposite character. The base is great, I mean Maria had their own problems and it would make a strong story but they add more conflict in to it that included Chloe Moretz's character, Joanne Ellis.



Fantastic work from both Juliette Binoche and Kristen Stewart. It's not an incredibly showy performance, though, not like Binoche's, but I could get behind it for awards love. Chloe Moretz's empty, superficial acting style actually works perfectly for her character here. I doubt it was really much work for her, but it works and she's not a distraction like she usually is. After being very disapponited on her in If I Stay, I was happy to see her in this movie. But something wasn't working for me. Maybe because she is too young for this role. Stewart and Moretz did a really good job oppiste Binoche, especially Stewart

 Juliette Binoche is amazing, as always. I could've seen her actually gaining traction for this film not award season thi season maybe next year or for Caesar. The film as a whole is... really weird. It's very entertaining throughout, never once dull, but it feels sort of aimless the more it goes on and while I get what points it was trying to make, it just felt a little too scattered to truly be great. Assayas did a good job. But sometimes he dragged some unnecessary scene.

Overall it was a beautiful movie, very French. Funny and all. Amazing performance from the performers. Even the cameos did good jobs. Very women. I love movie about women. and if you do, you should watch it. This movie basically about aging woman who struggles with her personal and professional problems. really good

Mine : 8/10
IMDB : 7.2/10
Rotten Tomatoes : 90%
Metacritics : 78%

No comments:

Post a Comment