Monday, December 15, 2014

Magic in the Moonlight (2014)



Magic in the Moonlight has been largely unnoticed by majority of the general movie-going audience. Yet from the trailers it peeked my interest enough to get me to watch it in the cinema. I expected it to be a good time pass and it was exactly that. I left satisfied but I have the feeling that in time I will not remember much about this movie. It's no surprise that Colin Firth and Emma Stone were the highlight. They have proved themselves time and time again that they are excellent actors, and they continue to be so in their roles.

There is no credible tension or conflict between the leads nor any emotional contact with the cinema goer and they didn't make us laugh either. So, instead of a standard rom-com, we are hit (according to reviewers here)with the "deep question" that was so "deep" it left a bump on my head. What do you expect from a Director/Writer from a country where many consider atheism and atheists to be to be evil. Whatever Woody was saying he said it with a hammer.

Without revealing anything about the plot, the fabrication does have a purpose in the storyline, but it is not working for me. So this feels like the director (who is also the scriptwriter) and actors have been struggling with the script. They were rushing through scenes like when the one guy asks Colin Firth to come with him to unmask this medium, he's like: hey wanna do something for me? Firth: yeah sure. Guy: come to another country with me to unmask this random woman you don't know. Firth: yeah i'm so angry, i'm going to unmask her!



The things I appreciated about this film, was Allen's use of classical songs and scores. Instead of going for an original score composed by someone, Allen instead chose, songs from the 1930's and 1940's, written by Cole Porter, Richard Rogers, William Jerome, as well, classical pieces. Colin Firth and Emma Stone both give solid performances. I was particular impressed by Firth's performance after he started to believe that Sophie was a true spiritualist. He truly seems excited, which is a change from his original character, who seemed to be a bit of a jerk.

Overall I don't get this movie. Beautiful cars and setting and costumes. Beautiful Ms Stone. And Firth was amazing. But I'm not a fan of this movie

Mine : 6.5/10
IMDB : 6.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes : 51%
Metacritics : 54%

No comments:

Post a Comment