Saturday, May 30, 2015

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)



Okay, so let me just start by saying that I LOVED Pitch Perfect and have been dying to see this sequel but, for me, it just didn't live up to the first one.

One of the weaknesses for me was the storyline, or more accurately, the lack of storyline. I saw the first one as being about a girl whose a little unusual, finding herself at university at her father's request and bizarrely feeling completely at home around a group of girls who are all equally strange and different from each other, with a backdrop of some killer tunes and quirky comedy. However, this film didn't really seem to know what it was focusing on.

I was anticipating for the sequel for Pitch Perfect, I basically can't wait for it to be out in my local cinema. This sequel is a little disappointing to watch as it has quite some cliché story lines. The plot aren't as solid and some of the movie parts are chunky, it doesn't has a smooth transition to it.


In Part 2, we see the Barden Bellas on a roll after winning the Nationals three years in a row. However during a fateful command performance in front of the President of the USA at Lincoln Center, Fat Amy had a wild wardrobe malfunction disaster which plunged the Bellas into major shame and competition suspension. In order to redeem themselves, they enlist to join the formidable World Acapella Competitions, which no US team has ever won. This film shows how they try to recover the group harmony they lost, as they face graduation and welcome a talented new Bella in their midst.

Since we all know these girls very well already, it was really great to see them all again. Anna Kendrick's Beca Mitchell is again her dour self, but she is more tolerable now than in the first film. She secretly enters an internship in a recording company in pursuit of her dream to become a record producer. This gave her a chance to interact with a very funny Keegan-Michael Key as her boss. I liked the guesting stint of Snoop Dogg in the scene where Beca got to show her boss her mixing skills.

As for the musical performances, you either like them or you don't. I liked them a lot, but music, being as subjective as it its, is hard to adequately defend or criticize. But I will say, that the performances are much much better than previewed from the trailers. It makes me wonder why they chose to market this film the way that they did.

Some characters are not themselves anymore. A prime example would be Beca, she isn't the first Beca whom we knew, she seemed like she has lost her attitude & personality. Not the cool and independent Beca that we saw in the first movie. Also, Fat Amy's persona is exaggerated. Yes, I know people like her in the first movie, I do too, in fact, she is one of my favourite but in this sequel, she appears unintelligent somehow.  I feel like Emily's role doesn't really contribute much impact to the movie. They should have give her more screen time/more development for her character.

7.1/10·IMDb
66%·Rotten Tomatoes
63%·Metacritic
7/10 - verdict

No comments:

Post a Comment